Loving yourself is important to your mental well-being. It is not about being self-centered or showing off, it’s about accepting yourself for who you are, and when you can do that, you can truly start to be a happy person. Here are some reasons why you should love yourself:
- Love yourself because it isn’t up to others to love you. It’s a blessing when they do love you, but when you love yourself you allow yourself to let go of the expectation for others to do so.
- When you love yourself you become more comfortable in your own skin…which allows you to enjoy life more.
- People like people who love themselves. They don’t want to spend much time with people who constantly put themselves down. Love yourself and people will love you and want to spend more time with you.
- Love yourself because wishing to be someone else is pointless. It will exhaust you because you will never be able to be anyone but you (regardless of where you go or what you do). You will be you for the rest of your life.
- When you love yourself you have no need to impress anybody else. No matter who it is! So, stop trying to please everyone else and you will begin to love yourself. If you rate other people’s opinions more important than your own, then you are not giving yourself enough credit. Their opinions are no more important, than your own, so trust in your own inner feelings and follow your heart.
- If you truly appreciate and love yourself, you are more likely to eat healthy food and exercise. You are more likely not to purposely harm yourself if you feel that you are worth more.
- One of the best reasons to love yourself is that you won’t feel envious of others when they experience all the good things that life has to offer. You won’t feel the need to knock them down out of jealousy and you won’t feel good when bad things happen to them. You will be genuinely happy for the people around you.
- Rather than looking to others for acceptance, you will help them because you are a good person. You won’t be another ‘people-pleaser’ because you already accept yourself. Which is important!!! Don’t spend your life trying to please everyone around you. Those who love you will accept you no matter what! Understand that.
- Lastly, you should love yourself because you are the only one that’s with you all the time. You know yourself, your thoughts, and your feelings. Nobody is you, but YOU! 🙂
Here are some tips to help you love yourself:
- Stop calling yourself names. Instead of saying “I’m stupid…i’m dumb” say, “I don’t know how to do this right now, but maybe I could learn or practice more.” Another example: “I’m such a failure”…instead say something like, “I lost my job, but I can use this experience to find and keep a new one.”
- Try to find one positive thing about yourself and add it to a list each week. Everyday, look at the list to remind yourself why you’re so great! Be specific. Instead of saying, “I’m generous”…say, “When I know that a friend is struggling, I give her a small and thoughtful gift to show that I care. This makes me generous.”
- Reward yourself for accomplishing something. Whether it’s buying yourself something you’ve wanted for a while, going out to dinner, or getting a massage.
- Tell yourself that you love you and speak positive things about you. Whether it’s in your head or out loud. Focus on the good things about you and the things you look forward to improving. Stay positive! 🙂
❤ Maria Magdeline